silence - [silence] New Cage Edition release on Mode Records

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] New Cage Edition release on Mode Records

  • From: Mode Admin <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [silence] New Cage Edition release on Mode Records
  • Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 09:26:06 -0400

The third volume in the Percussion series, primarily solo works performed by D'Arcy Philip Gray, has recently been released on Mode (mode 272):
http://www.moderecords.com/catalog/272-cage.html
It's also Volume 50 in our Cage Edition!

Gray, who was a Merce Cunningham Dance Company musician and worked with David Tudor, performs:
- c/Composed Improvisation (all 3 versions: snare drum, bass guitar, and frame drum + trio versions via overdubbing)
- One4
- Child of Tree
- Branches

I heard these last two, for amplified plant materials, performed several times by Cage in NYC in the 1980s. To be honest, I had not really paid much attention to them since (aside from making this recording). Listening with fresh ears now, I find these are really very beautiful, intimate works.

Brian Brandt
mode records