silence - [silence] Let's go to the movies

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Let's go to the movies

  • From: Julian Brooks <>
  • To: "\"Silence\"" <>
  • Subject: [silence] Let's go to the movies
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 17:09:16 +0000

Hi all,

After Lowell's message I would like to bring this up:

Yesterday I walked past Philip Thomas' office at Huddersfield Uni.  He has a photo attached to his door (he has the best door-stuff) which is from the entrance to the old Cunningham dance studio.  The photo is of a list of 'rules' that Cage put up.  The one that took me by surprise is the exhortation to go and see as many films (movies) as you possibly can.

I never had him down as a film-buff and it's not something I've ever heard mention of before.

Does anyone have any further information (favourite films etc)?

Hope it's not too flippant a question,

Julian