silence - [silence] Re: a problem with a Cage related article

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: a problem with a Cage related article

  • From: Richard Friedman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [silence] Re: a problem with a Cage related article
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 09:17:04 -0700

On 10/1/12 12:53 AM, Petri Kuljuntausta wrote:

Just a random note,
I do recall that in the late 50's there were "stereo test records" available that the serious Hi-Fi enthusiast could use to measure the performance of their sound system. These included a track or maybe an entire side of empty grooves, which you could use to measure phonograph rumble and hum, and to detect problems with the tracking of the phono arm and cartridge. These disks also contained tracks with pure tones for doing sound checks, and for testing stereo speaker phasing. My dad, one of those enthusiasts, had one and I found it very curious.

That said, I do remember the silent juke box recording being reported in the news, and I agree it was more likely in the early 60's than the 50's.

|||| Richard Friedman, Oakland CA ||||