silence - [silence] Re: a problem with a Cage related article

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: a problem with a Cage related article

  • From: Philip Gentry <>
  • To: Petri Kuljuntausta <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [silence] Re: a problem with a Cage related article
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 10:31:19 -0400

Hi Petri (and Silencers),

Interesting question! At the very least, I do take the blame if it's the wrong date, Kyle did get it from my dissertation and we corresponded briefly about it. I saw the article in the Cage papers at Northwestern; it was just a newspaper clipping in the "1952 Miscellany" folder with...I think a date scrawled on it? It's been a little while. Like you, I tried unsuccessfully to find the original story. That's all I know about the article, and I'd be curious to know if others know more about it.

Substantively, definitely nobody should (and I don't think either Kyle or I did) say that this little human interest story actually inspired 4'33" or anything like that. I'm sure he just saw the article and was amused by it, and I guess tucked it away somewhere. For me, as with the (apparently earlier)  well-known Muzak story, it does serve as a useful reminder that Cage's particular silence was not aimed just at, say, Boulez or Beethoven, but against mass culture, a common preoccupation for mid-century modernists like Cage.

Phil