silence - [silence] Call for John Cage essays

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Call for John Cage essays

  • From: David Patterson <>
  • To:
  • Cc: , , , , , ,
  • Subject: [silence] Call for John Cage essays
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:32:21 -0700 (PDT)

JOHN CAGE, 1950 - c. 1970

Call for Submissions

Hello to all.

It has been ten years since the publication of John Cage: Music, Philosophy, and Intention, 1933-1950, and it seems high time to follow through and put out a similar collection related to Cage’s work and thought in the 1950s and 60s.

Therefore, I’d like to put out this general call for submissions to be considered for inclusion in this collection. As with its predecessor, the essays as a group will not create a continuous narrative but will instead reflect the diversity of themes and methodologies that have been applied to this period in recent Cage scholarship. My own sense is that there is excellent work either already completed or near completion; consequently, I would like to ask, then, for full submissions (as opposed to mere abstracts or proposals) by June 30, 2012. Please feel free to forward this call for submission to any interested parties you may know of.

If you have any questions, please contact me privately (use my gmail address below) and/or consult the earlier publication for a general sense of the length and depth the essays should take. Thanks very much.

All best,

--David Patterson

  146 N. Humphrey Avenue, #A3

  Oak Park, IL  60302