silence - [silence] Re: Chance operations in the composition of the Variations

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Chance operations in the composition of the Variations

  • From: David P Miller <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Chance operations in the composition of the Variations
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 20:38:32 -0400

Dear Claire,

It's quite an interesting question. I've been studying and performing the Variations off an on for several years, and haven't yet run into evidence that Cage used chance operations per se in composing these scores, with a couple of exceptions.

The Variations V and (unpublished) Variations VII scores each consist of a set number of "remarks". I believe Cage used chance operations to determine the number of remarks and also the number of words in each remark - the latter, at least, for Variations V. However, these two scores, plus the score for Variations VIII, are to a great extent documentation, after the fact, of events that had already happened. Cage did not compose the scores first and then develop the performances. So the use of chance operations for the Variations V and VII scores were a device he used to help him get the writing done - they don't relate to the material or content of a performance.

The scores for Variations I and II, as you probably know, consist of transparencies with points or lines on them. I don't believe he used chance operations to determine these - although for the "points" sheets for Variations I, he may have used a technique similar to that for the Music for Piano series - of highlighting "imperfections" on a drawing surface. That's speculation, however.

The other scores - Variations III, IV, and VI - consist (aside from written directions, as in Variations I and II) of geometric elements, circles and the like, also on transparencies. These are to be cut apart and used according to the written directions.

My main point here is that all of the Variations scores point to processes for making performances - either creating one's own scores, or determining choices on the spot. Any use of chance operations in his general I Ching-based sense would have been peripheral, in that none of these scores are to be performed -directly-. You don't sit down with the Variations I score in front of you and "interpret" the points and lines as you might do with other graphical scores. Chance, randomness, accident, serendipity arise as you develop the processes these scores point to.

It might also help to know what the author of the article said, whom you quoted. (I've published a couple of articles on the Variations, so I'll be amused if it was me.)

I hope this helps, and if I have anything factually wrong, I'm sure others will correct me. Also, if I can be of further assistance, please feel free to write me directly.

Warm regards,

David M.
Boston, Massachusetts

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012

 wrote:

Hi, I am currently writing my undergraduate dissertation on Cage, and have
come
accross an issue which I can't seem to find much information on.

I am currently investigating the indeterminate aspects in Variations IV. I
have
found in an article that chance procedures were used in the composing of the
Variations scores, but I can't find anymore on this. Most of the information
is
on the indeterminate aspects of the realisation and performance, and does not
mention Cage's compositional process.

I wondered if anyone could shed any light on this?

Many thanks,
Claire Harris
Edinburgh Napier University