silence - [silence] Re: Looking for original text of Musicircus

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Looking for original text of Musicircus

  • From: Ralph Lichtensteiger <>
  • To: Peter H. Ruegg <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Looking for original text of Musicircus
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 15:41:59 +0100

Musicircus
Dated: 1967
Instrumentation: For any number of musicians, being prepared to perform in the same place (event)
Duration: indeterminate
Premiere and performer(s): November 17, 1967 in the the University Stock Pavillion at the University of Illinois
Manuscript: Realisation (holograph, signed, in black and blue ink - 4 p.) in the New York Public Library.

The idea of this composition is nothing more than an invitation to a number of musicians, who perform simultaneously anything or in any way they desire. The manuscript is a list of musicians with various pieces of music by Cage and Satie and some non-musical works, also including a diagram for positions of various individuals.

“One very important element is that there should at all times be many people performing simultaneously. The next is that, since none of the musicians are being paid, there being too many of them, the entire event must be free to the public. ... In harmony with the separation of this work from conventional economics, I have not made a score nor have I published one of course.” —JOHN CAGE