silence - [silence] Re: Source of Cage quote about Ives...

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Source of Cage quote about Ives...

  • From: Rob Haskins <>
  • To: Josh Ronsen <>
  • Cc: Silence <>
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Source of Cage quote about Ives...
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 03:45:10 -0500

No, you're right, and I realized as soon as I replied. (It's been a long semester.) Could it be that Nyman derived the quote from something like a radio interview that he transcribed (and forgot he transcribed)? For years I've tried to identify a Cage quote that appears in Experimental Music and have NEVER found it; Nyman told me he was sure it was a print source when I asked him about it, but perhaps the print source was some sort of transcript of an interview that was never published or published in a very obscure location. This Ives quote, because it is a somewhat embellished version of something in print, is like the quote I was looking for, which made me start thinking that perhaps it might have originated in an interview.