silence - [silence] Re: Re: Re: RE: more on 0'00", in 'For the Birds'

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Re: Re: RE: more on 0'00", in 'For the Birds'

  • From: Rob Haskins <>
  • To: Ed Crooks <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Re: Re: RE: more on 0'00", in 'For the Birds'
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:00:18 -0400

Yes, this description applies to One3 (One3 = 4' 33" (0' 00") + )
Rob
On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 3:04 AM, Ed Crooks <> wrote:
I wonder if the version mentioned below is the one Cage talks about in 1990, printed in Retallack's MusiCage, p.77:

Retallack asks Cage if he ever thought 4'33" was ironic. Cage says:

'No, I just think of it as listening to the period of time when there aren't any sounds being produced. And so I listen to the sounds that come into the situation - whatever that is... Now I think of it more in relation to the world as a whole. And I have another form of it which brings the silence of the room up to the level of feedback but doesn't allow the feedback to be hear, only sensed, so that you realize that you're in an electronic situation that could be painful. But isn't, hmm? But could be. And in that highly electrified silence I then leave the stage and go and sit in the audience and experience it for an unmeasured length of time. And then, when I've had enough, I go back to the stage and that's it. What's in my mind - it might have some irony - but what I think I'm showing is that we have changed the environment, and that it's no longer... it's now a technological silence, hmm? that now silence includes technology. In a way that is not necessarily... good. That could involve, hmm? irony? Or something like criticism?'

best,
Ed Crooks

University of York, Department of Music