silence - [silence] [Silence] Re: More on 0'00" and Reunion

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] [Silence] Re: More on 0'00" and Reunion

  • From: Lowell Cross <>
  • To: "David Miller" <>
  • Cc: Silence List <>
  • Subject: [silence] [Silence] Re: More on 0'00" and Reunion
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 19:29:33 -0500

Just to clarify, when Cage first commissioned me to build an electronic chessboard, he simply told me that he and Marcel Duchamp would be playing chess on it, at an event in Toronto on March 5, 1968, and that he wanted the chessboard to select the sounds during a game -- including the possibilities of a sound (or sounds) moving between, and among, the loudspeakers.

At that time and for a while thereafter, he referred to his upcoming work as Zero Zero Zero No. 2.  He soon changed that to Reunion, a better choice IMO.  Cage was well acquainted with all of the individuals that he invited to participate in the forthcoming event, which was indeed to be a Reunion:  Marcel and Teeny Duchamp, David Behrman, Gordon Mumma, David Tudor, and Lowell Cross.

LC