silence - [silence] Fwd: Project John Cage : on YouTube July 14 @ 19:00 (BST) and thereafter

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Fwd: Project John Cage : on YouTube July 14 @ 19:00 (BST) and thereafter

  • From: John Emr <>
  • To: silence <>
  • Subject: [silence] Fwd: Project John Cage : on YouTube July 14 @ 19:00 (BST) and thereafter
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 10:51:00 -0400

John Emr
New York

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Bernas <>
Date: July 10, 2021 at 5:10:14 AM EDT

Hi John

here’s the announcement of a John Cage + Earle Brown event I have prepared with some young musicians and friends.

Most contributors filmed (or recorded) themselves on cameraphones - except for a few longer events we videoed as professionally as we could at Raquib Shaw’s studio in Peckham - and then everything was edited together, sequenced by chance operations derived from Variations III, by Sam Belinfante.

We were looking for something apposite to YouTube and the means we have been left with during the lockdown rather than reproducing the concert experience. I took Cage’s mixed-media works, like the Variations series, as an inspiration, treating them as Instruction Manuals for the 21st Century.

The resulting video is available on YouTube from Wednesday July 14 at 19:00 for 14 months.
Please send the invitation around to whoever you know who might be interested. We'd like to cast the net as widely as possible.

Thanks in advance & stay safe!

Best, RICHARD

  • [silence] Fwd: Project John Cage : on YouTube July 14 @ 19:00 (BST) and thereafter, John Emr, 07/15/2021