silence - Re: [silence] Questions about Cage as an algorithmic composer

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] Questions about Cage as an algorithmic composer

  • From: David Bellows <>
  • To: AHF <>
  • Cc: silence <>
  • Subject: Re: [silence] Questions about Cage as an algorithmic composer
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 19:45:08 -0700

> Define “algorithmic composer” or “algorithmic composition”.

Sure. Like wth Music of Changes, Cage had tables where he would look
up the results of his random number generator (I-Ching) and record
those results on the sheet music. So basically anything based on
chance (most of his works post-1950) where the resulting random
numbers would be looked up in tables and those results used would be
"algorithmic" in the most general sense (ie, not requiring a
computer). Works of his that were based only on the imperfections on
the paper, for example, wouldn't count unless the note used on that
imperfection had some random elements (like duration or something).

So with any of these kinds of pieces, Cage could have generated
another set of random numbers and created a new version of that piece.
And this is what I'm asking, did he ever create more than one version
of one of these pieces? And the bonus question, did he ever consider
releasing the process to let other people create, for example, their
own Music of Changes?