silence - [silence] Self-Storage: Reading John Cage in Reykjavik

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Self-Storage: Reading John Cage in Reykjavik

  • From: Rod Stasick <>
  • To: silence <>
  • Subject: [silence] Self-Storage: Reading John Cage in Reykjavik
  • Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2019 10:47:08 -0600

https://lithub.com/self-storage-reading-john-cage-in-reykjavik/

Hello folks,

I’m not really one for this kind of writing,
but it does have some interesting observations about Cage within.
Basically, the author is recounting her trip to Iceland and her reading of
Cage’s republished "Diary: How to Improve the World (You Will Only Make
Matters Worse)” during her trip.

“...“We need an utterly wireless technology,” he wrote almost 30 years before
the Internet. “Add video screen to telephone. Give each subscriber a thousand
sheets of recordable erasable material so anytime, anywhere, anyone would
have access to a thousand sheets of something (drawings, books, music,
whatever).” Before the advent of portable hard drives he was predicting our
memory banks, Facetime and Skype, the thousands of digital artifacts clogging
our iClouds and iPhones. Memories, deconstructed into data, that we had
access to with the swipe of an index finger on a black screen…”

Hope everyone is having a good holiday season.
It’s been, let’s say, a memorable 2019 - both on a personal basis and
internationally.

*************
Now Playing:

‌John Cage:‌ ASLSP (For Piano) (1985): III

‌from:
‌Musique Pour Piano (Volume 4)‌

‌Last.FM:
https://www.last.fm/user/rostasi2 <https://www.last.fm/user/rostasi2>

Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/rostasi/ <https://www.mixcloud.com/rostasi/>

GoodReads:
https://www.goodreads.com/rostasi

  • [silence] Self-Storage: Reading John Cage in Reykjavik, Rod Stasick, 12/01/2019