silence - [silence] Cage / Jarman 1965 collaboration...

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Cage / Jarman 1965 collaboration...

  • From: Josh Ronsen <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: [silence] Cage / Jarman 1965 collaboration...
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 19:41:05 +0000 (UTC)

Years ago, I posted a few short sentences about the John Cage / Joseph Jarman
collaboration that happened in Chicago in 1965. There wasn't much info in the
jazz book I had read. On the Artforum webpage today, the cover story was a
memorial on Jarman written by composer Roscoe Mitchell in which he mentioned
the collaboration. That got me thinking, and since my long ago post, someone
did the research for me, for us.

-Josh Ronsen
in Austin, Texas
http://ronsen.org

A Power Stronger Than Itself: The AACM and American Experimental Music
By George E. Lewis

Starting from page 128:

In late 1965, through the efforts of students and faculty at the University
of Chicago, a “Contemporary Music Society” began organizing concerts with
AACM musicians in university concert halls and other campus spaces, including
the Reynolds Club, the university’s student union, which offered space for
student events free of charge. Joseph Jarman was helping the society to
organize the concerts, as well as Friday-night jam sessions with people like
Andrew Hill, Jack DeJohnette, Richard Abrams, and Rafael Garrett. By this
time, as Leonard Jones said in an interview, “a lot of black people lived in
Hyde Park.” “That was who we were trying to attract.” In addition, the
university connection led to larger audiences that were more diverse in terms
of race, class, age, and other demographic factors.

At the Harper Theater in Hyde Park on November 26 and 27, 1965, the society
organized a midnight concert collaboration between Joseph Jarman, several of
the university students, and composer-performer John Cage. The concert was
controversial, to say the least, judging from Down Beat reviewer Pete
Welding’s review of the event—the first major review of an AACM musician to
appear in a national publication. “Cage did a concert at Mandel Hall,” Jarman
recalled, “and [the students] asked if he would be interested to collaborate
with me, to do a concert at Harper Theater. I had read ‘Silence’ and I had
collected his music. I liked it. So I felt really honored to do that.” As the
concert program announced, “To our knowledge, this is the first time that Mr.
Cage has performed a work with a group of jazz musicians.” The program
affirmed Jarman’s “great artistic and conceptual indebtedness” to Cage, and
recounted a meeting between Jarman and Cage at a festival of contemporary
music at which Jarman asked the composer if he would perform with the Jarman
group.

At the concert, the Jarman Quintet performed first, with Fred Anderson, Bill
Brimfield, Charles Clark, and Arthur Reed, followed by the Cage-Jarman
collaboration, titled “Imperfections in a Given Space,” which featured Cage
himself performing electronic sounds, Ellis Bishop on trumpet, Bob Hodge on
bass, and a young U of C graduate student, Doug Mitchell, on percussion.
According to the Down Beat reviewer, “Cage sent a variety of electronic
stimuli through a complex of electronic amplification equipment (the sound of
an eraser on paper, ot of water being swallowed, when amplified a thousand
times, makes for an eerie listening experience indeed!), to which the Jarman
group was to respond musically.

In our interview, Jarman’s account of Cage's demeanor was congruent with
other contemporaneous descriptions of the composer’s gentle way of
interacting. “He just said [imitates], ‘I’m setting up this… [pause] … Do as
you feel.’ [Laughs.] And he just started playing. And because of my
experience with the AACM concerts, I just started playing, and moved all over
and blended horns.” Cage’s own account of the encounter published years later
in an interview with frequent interlocutor Richard Kostelanetz, was
considerably different from Jarman’s. There, Cage framed himself as something
as a teacher for a group of unnamed “black musicians.” Moreover, despite his
professed lack of interest in improvisation (reiterated later in the
interview), Cage somehow managed to find ways to critique the musicians’
performance practice—at their request. “And I said to them that one of the
troubles was that when they got loud, they all got loud. And they said, ‘How
could we change that?’ They were willing to change.”

While one could well imagine that the AACM musicians were open to learning
from Cage, the notion that these musicians would have learned about space and
silence from him is at varience with the recorded evidence of AACM
improvisations from the period. Moreover, asa Cage scholar Rebecca Y. Kim has
noted in an unpublished paper, the program notes for the Cage-Jarman event
employed “a language of historical synchronicity, identifying two parallel
movements in new music” – hardly an attitude that one might attribute to a
mentor-student relationship. In any event, the Down Beat review, which had no
particular criticism of Cage’s work per se, criticized Jarman and his
musicians for their supposed failure to respond to Cage's sounds. The
reviewer found that the group created “little in the way of actual
interaction with what Cage was generating; it was as though the group were
merely sending into the air its own unrelated signals at the same time as the
electronic ones were being generated, with little or no regard to ordering or
organizing the combined sounds into something meaningful.” Most of the rest
of the review was given over to musings on how collective improvisation,
while requiring true group empathy, was unfortunately attracting “more than
its share of outright charlatans.” These evaluations aside, assuming the
reviewer’s descriptions reflected something of the reality of the event, the
approach of the Jarman group as it is described here seemed to represent well
the Cageian practice and aesthetic of indeterminacy.

For Jarman, “it was really beautiful, and I wish I had recorded it. It was
awesome.” The reviewer’s take was considerably less sanguine. Punning on the
collective work’s title, he found that the concert’s “manifest imperfections
and inconclusive nature led to boredom and sterility,” producing “aridity and
lifelessness.” Jarman recalls that at least one other very experienced
listener shared the reviewer’s opinion to some extent. “Down Beat didn’t like
it, and my mother didn’t like it either. She said [imitates]: ‘Joseph, if you
ever play with that man again, don’t tell me, please. I love you, I love your
concerts, I come to all of them, but if you’re going to play with him, don’t
tell me,’ ‘Yes, ma’am.’

Leonard Jones came to the performance with something of the Zen beginner’s
mind: “At the time, I had no idea of the musical importance of John Cage. His
name kept cropping up at that time in this area of avant-garde or
experimental music. But Joseph has always been exotic, and Cage was exotic
just like the Japanese dancer that Joseph would have performances with in the
‘60s. I remember that Cage sat on the stage next to a table, and he had a
microphone attached to his throat. He sat there and he gargled water, and
Joseph played the saxophone. That’s the one and only time that I’ve seen John
Cage live. I remember Charles [Clark] being there, but other than that I
don’t remember anybody else. At the time, it seemed to me that lot of it was
conceptual, and I was pretty new to music: I didn’t start playing the bass
until I was twenty years old.”

“Nobody liked it, and that made it even better,” Jarman recalled. “Right
after that, they actually invited me to go up to Ann Arbor to the ONCE
Festival. That was a beautiful experience.”

  • [silence] Cage / Jarman 1965 collaboration..., Josh Ronsen, 02/08/2019