silence - Re: [silence] Mario Bertoncini

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

Re: [silence] Mario Bertoncini

  • From: Stefano Pocci <>
  • To: AHF <>, silence <>
  • Subject: Re: [silence] Mario Bertoncini
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 20:37:04 +0200

This is very sad news Andrew. Thanks for sharing it here and for your beautiful text.

I did not know Mario in person, but in 2012 when I asked him to write a small dedication for a John Cage project, he kindly accepted and while talking over the phone with him about John among other things, it clearly emerged the aura of a great personality.
He was a great pianist, he loved poetry (he would frequently cite poets of all times) and he liked to write some of his books as a dialog between pupils and teachers, all of whom reflected him in a different way.
I have never been to his house in Cetona near Siena, but I've got the feeling it must have been a Leonardo Da Vinci studio, if Leonardo had had interest in music.
In our last contact, he sounded genuinely thrilled as a young person could be, about his upcoming installation of a giant aeolian harp in Venice, on top of Borges' labyrinth of Fondazione Cini. He was really excited about the project and all the matters it entailed.
This reminds me of his huge project he envisioned for a valley near Cetona with multiple aeolian harps placed in a natural amphitheater of rock. You can find it on his site, which opens with a Cage quotation:

http://www.mariobertoncini.com/

Finally, I'd like to share his memory of Cage he wrote for the issue of the magazine I published in 2012 to celebrate John's 100th birthday.
Mario sent it in Italian, but I had to translate it in English too and he approved my rendition:

1968, a year with a frown and deprived of eros in which even mystification seemed necessary, did not stimulate to construct aeolian harps. It was at this time that I started to work on Cage’s Cartridge Music: one of the less studied but most valid works of the composer, the first piece to free music from secular prejudices.
By finding el Levante por el Poniente for the sake of Cage, I stumbled upon the Abruzzese guitar, a loom whose metal wires cut a pasta also loved by the fans of the New – nostalgic and gentle – forgetful of the ancient rags, of the ancient discipline.
In the hunt for sounds not audible otherwise (Cage), I subjected the object to electronic vexations unknown to the Abruzzesi housewives and unable to offer me an ‘Auditorium-like’ sonority.
One day – for Ossian? For Goethe? - for sure homaging Cage, I exposed the object to the wind, on the balcony. An extraordinary emotion: thanks to an exaggerated amplification, I really obtained the first aeolian sounds of the New Music.
(Mario Bertoncini)

Stefano