silence - [silence] Cage 33 1/3 at UC Davis Manetti-Shrem Museum

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Cage 33 1/3 at UC Davis Manetti-Shrem Museum

  • From: Richard Friedman <>
  • To: silence <>
  • Subject: [silence] Cage 33 1/3 at UC Davis Manetti-Shrem Museum
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 13:01:54 -0700

Last night I attended the Member Opening/Preview at the Manetti-Shrem Museum on the University of California, Davis campus.

One of the exhibitions being presented this season includes a "celebration" of the performance of John Cage's 33 1/3 at UC Davis in November 1969.

It was part of MeWanteMooseicDay, devised by Larry Austin, John Dinwiddie, Stan Lunetta, and others. I was there and took some pictures, which the museum is using as part of the exhibition, along with additional photos by Charles Amirkhanian. They also displayed the description of the event that appeared in Source Magazine #7, which contained more of my photos.

While the space allocated for 33 1/3 was much smaller and less chaotic than the theater space used in '69, with much fewer listening stations, it does give a sense of what it might have been like.

From the museum's web page:  https://manettishremmuseum.ucdavis.edu/visit/current_exhibitions.html

John Cage | 33 1/3

In Cage's groundbreaking participatory composition, 33 1/3—which he debuted at UC Davis in 1969—the public is invited to play albums on turn-tables in the exhibition gallery. Celebrate the improvisatory spirit that helped change the course of experimental music and art during the second half of the twentieth century.

On view September 17-December 28, 2017

My photos from last night are at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rchrd/albums/72157686776932784/with/37145203211/

My photos from 1969 are at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rchrd/albums/72157683454032083

The evening also included a projection of the Variations V performance with the Cunningham company in Hamburg in a video from the German Television. http://www.medienkunstnetz.de/works/variations-v/

All this was curated by Francesca Wilmott, who comes to Davis via MOMA. I think we can look forward to more significant exhibits like this at Davis!