silence - [silence] Paul Zukofsky, Prodigy Who Became, Uneasily, a Virtuoso Violinist, Dies at 73

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Paul Zukofsky, Prodigy Who Became, Uneasily, a Virtuoso Violinist, Dies at 73

  • From: Rod Stasick <>
  • To: silence <>
  • Subject: [silence] Paul Zukofsky, Prodigy Who Became, Uneasily, a Virtuoso Violinist, Dies at 73
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 19:35:58 -0500

Will forever be grateful for his label of astounding interpretations of really great works: CP².
There's about 2 dozen releases and every one is an absolute gem.

Piano Space” - the 3-LP set of contemporary piano music
performed by Aki Takahashi changed my life in the mid-70s
and I remember loaning it out to anyone that I thought needed
to have their life changed as well.

Zukofsky and Cage appeared to get along rather well.
Zukofsky helped him realize what could be done with the violin -
even tho Zukofsky claimed that the first Freeman Etudes that Cage
had composed for him were "unplayable." Irvine Arditti, afterwards
showed that they were indeed playable (saw him do this in concert -
had to pick my jaw up off of the floor).

Rod

*****
Now Playing:

‌Moondog‌ - Tap Dance