silence - [silence] RE: Essay

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] RE: Essay

  • From: David Miller <>
  • To: "'Andrew Culver'" <>, <>
  • Subject: [silence] RE: Essay
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 15:12:45 -0500

Hello, Andrew –

Thank you for bringing this to us. I remember attending a concert in the mid-80s with what was (perhaps?) the first version of Essay – a multi-channel audio work. I believe this was before Cage developed the installation approach to the work, though I am sure you will know better. I also remember that my date, who had essentially no listening background to bring to it, was at least curious and tolerant. That was fortunate!

I’m interested in this by the museum: “he did not intend for the work to be a political statement.” This does not seem entirely plausible to me. Might it be something that they needed to say? Or would it be harmful to them to speculate on this point in public?

Best wishes,

David M.

Boston, MA