silence - [silence] silence / noise

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] silence / noise

  • From: Raquel Castro <>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Subject: [silence] silence / noise
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 15:48:44 +0100

Dear friends and colleagues,

I'm working on a new video about sound, focusing particularly on urban sound, the sound of our cities increasingly overwhelmed with everything. So I am posing a challenge to you, a challenge for those who have the time and willingness to respond to it. Would you be willing to send me an audio recording of your own answer to the following questions?
What is silence?
What is noise?
As we know, these ideas are subjective and vary depending on the context we're in and the place we inhabit. Therefore, I am interested in collecting responses from all over the world, and being physically impossible for me to record every one of you, I am doing this personal and independent call so you can send your answers to my email.

You can answer in portuguese, english or in your own language (in this case I'd ask for an english or portuguese translation so I can understand your words). Your voice and thoughts will be obviously credited in the work.

I will be forever thankful to anyone answering this call.

All the best,

Raquel Castro
www.vimeo.com/raquelcastro