silence - [silence] RE: Re: Music for Piano 21

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] RE: Re: Music for Piano 21

  • From: Philip Thomas <>
  • To: Silence <>
  • Subject: [silence] RE: Re: Music for Piano 21
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 07:19:19 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US

I've played this one a few times and in the past have played it as a C (highest note). There are I think three possibilities: a) at the time of inscribing Cage thought this pitch was a C, in which case it could be a C flat; b) it's beyond the range of the piano so play the highest pitch (C); c) Cage miscounted the number of ledger lines and added one too many, in which case it's a B flat.

I reckon any of these are fine!

Would be really interested in reading your analysis, Rob. Am currently preparing a new realisation of these pieces.

Cheers

Philip

www.philip-thomas.co.uk
Dr. Philip Thomas, Reader in Music
Acting Subject Area Leader for Music
University of Huddersfield
Queensgate, Huddersfield HD1 3DH
Tel: 01484 471336
If you're interested in studying at Huddersfield, why not join iHud? iHud provides you with the information you need when you need it, including the latest news about student life, accommodation, subject area information, hints and tips about starting university and much more.

Sign up today at: http://www.hud.ac.uk/ihud/