silence - [silence] Music for____ notation question

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Music for____ notation question

  • From: Christopher McIntyre <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [silence] Music for____ notation question
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 15:13:47 -0400

Dear Silencers,

I'm playing the trombone part from Music for___ with the New York group Ne(x)tworks this Thursday night. My question relates to note head size. In my part there are 2 sizes, average and very small. Cage did not include any information in the performance note and other investigations (Pritchett, online) offer no information. I'm well aware of how note head size differences work in Concert and Atlas Eclipticalis for example, but in this case, very specific dynamics are indicated that contradict the operation of these earlier pieces.

Any clarification would be much appreciated. Thanks!
cjm

--
Christopher McIntyre
cmcintyre.com