silence - [silence] Re: Re: Re: Bio of John Cage explores Zen Buddhist influence

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Re: Re: Bio of John Cage explores Zen Buddhist influence

  • From: John Whiting <>
  • To: silence <>
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Re: Re: Bio of John Cage explores Zen Buddhist influence
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 18:51:12 +0100

Title: John Whiting
In 1967 I was lecturing at English art colleges on, among other subjects, Zen and the Art of John Cage - not biographical detail but quotations, events and compositions in which Cage exemplified the spirit of Zen. My examples were on 5x8 cards which I shuffled at the podium before I began. Those were great days in the art colleges -- they caught on so instinctively that by the end they could easily have carried on without me.