silence - [silence] anecdote on Souvenir

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] anecdote on Souvenir

  • From: Rob Haskins <>
  • To: Silence <>
  • Subject: [silence] anecdote on Souvenir
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 10:40:44 -0400

Hello,
Does anyone on the List remember the circumstances leading to the organ piece Souvenir? I seem to remember that Gerd Zacher had been performing Dream (on organ) a lot, and that when Souvenir was commissioned, a request was made for a piece like Dream. I've looked in all the usual places (Conversing with Cage, Musicage, John Cage: Writer, program notes for pieces) and can't find this.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

--