silence - [silence] Re: Counterpoint lessons

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Counterpoint lessons

  • From: Rob Haskins <>
  • To: Paul Beaudoin <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Counterpoint lessons
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 17:08:12 -0500

He said that years later he decided that the answer was the question that was asked. I can find a citation for you if you want.
All best,
Rob

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Paul Beaudoin <> wrote:
While recounting a counterpoint lesson Cage had with Schoenberg,Cage closes with the question Schoenberg posed "What is the principle underlying all the solutions?"  Cage, as far as I know, never said what he (or Schoenberg) thought was the answer.  I am torn between the answer being voice-leading  and the concept of consonance/dissonance.  I am wondering if any of you have thoughts about this?

--
Rob Haskins, Ph.D.
Associate Professor