silence - [silence] Re: On performance liberties

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: On performance liberties

  • From: "Christopher L Shultis" <>
  • To: Dionisis Boukouvalas <>,Silence <>
  • Subject: [silence] Re: On performance liberties
  • Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 10:06:05 -0600

An interesting question--what role should Cage's verbal and written instructions and/or opinions about his work, often after his having composed the piece, play in a performer's interpretation. In the case of Speech it may be a little simpler than in other places. In the Symphony Space concert Cage himself is "interpreting" his own score. As you point out this instruction is nowhere to be found in the score. Composed in 1955, transistor radios had been invented but it is unlikely that these would have been what Cage was thinking of when he wrote the piece. Meaning that when it was written the radios would have probably been plugged into electrical outlets determined by their location (or by extension cords) in the performance space. Cage's application of more modern technological possibilities to his interpretation of a piece written in the 50s shows (I think) the flexibility of what is possible interpretively from his perspective at the time of the concert. But that doesn't necessarily make it something to apply to a performance of Speech if one wants to be true to the original intent of what was put in the score in 1955. That's another story altogether, connected to the subject of performance practice, and I might add in a very traditional way. I'm thinking here (as but one example) of differences between what Beethoven piano sonatas sound like on original versus modern instruments. Not a question of what might be right or wrong but I do find it useful to know the options concerning what a piece would have sounded like on "original" instruments and deciding whether or not it makes sense to go for that rather than just accept the conditions of what is currently available. I address this related to his percussion pieces (where I think getting the "historical" sounds is in some sense a question of right and wrong) in the chapter I contributed to the collection of essays on Cage edited by David Patterson (John Cage: Music, Philosophy and Intention 1933-1950). And concerning the spatial dimension, this I think points to something sonically important. Did Cage want the sounds of Speech to be heard in their entirely and at the same time? As a collage of radio sounds in combination with the reading of text? My educated guess is that this was what he had in mind as a composer in 1955. And if you listen to what's happening in the Symphony Space performance, by moving freely in that relatively large concert space you don't really get that sonic experience. As an interpreter I'm not sure I would follow Cage's directions concerning Speech as I'm not convinced it would be faithful to the score when he wrote it. In any case, there is a big difference (in my opinion) between what Cage says (or does) with one of his pieces as a performer or what he says about his compositions in his role as the composer. And, of course, also noting the time period of when he said or wrote something and then comparing that to the dates when the pieces themselves were written.

Chris Shultis

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 17:00:08 +0200
 Dionisis Boukouvalas
<>
 wrote:

Excluding indeterminate works, I always thought that one has to perform Cage's music as accurately as possible.
Nevertheless, there is an example from the marvelous "American masters" documentary where Cage and co are performing "Speech" and where Cage instructs the others to move freely in the space "as people with radios do". I have performed the piece and I recall that the score does not mention something like that. It's really a pity that I didn't know before the performance because I would have loved to do it that way too. So, what it is?
a) Was the idea dropped when the music came to be printed?
b) Are such liberties concerning the space/scene and not the music itself allowed by Cage? But in that case, doesn't the movement in space radically change the music itself?

Christopher Shultis, Ph.D.
Distinguished Professor
Regents' Professor of Music
University of New Mexico
MSC04 2570 Center for the Arts
Albuquerque, NM 87131
PH:(505) 264-3078
email:

website: www.chrisshultis.com

Note: Please use address for all non-UNM business related matters as well as for any correspondence regarded as private rather than public. Thanks! cs