silence - [silence] Silence, the book

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Silence, the book

  • From: Philip Gentry <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [silence] Silence, the book
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 15:39:40 -0400

Hi gang,

As many of us know, this year is the 50th anniversary of the publication of Cage's first book, Silence. (In fact, next week is the exact 50th anniversary, after Cage's last-minute changes delayed its publication, much to the publisher's dismay.) Among other things going on, Wes Press is putting out a new edition with a forward by Kyle Gann. I'm also doing a research project on the book myself, being especially interested in how the book has been read and used.

I, for one, first encountered it in my high school library--I think it was the paperback edition published by MIT--and although as a fifteen-year-old I didn't really understand a lot of it, nevertheless found it transformative. The more linear essays and histories were really the first encounter I had with a history of experimental music, and did much to shape my life as a listener and occasional composer. The more avant-garde stuff went completely over my head at the time, although I now find them interesting!

My favor to ask: I would love to hear from list members about their own first experiences with the book. It's all anecdotal, of course, but I'm curious  as to the experiences of others. Private replies are fine, unless you think the rest of the list would find it interesting. I'd be happy to summarize some of the themes once I've accumulated them.

Phil

--
Philip Gentry
Department of Music