silence - [silence] Help

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Help

  • From: Semih Firincioglu <>
  • To: Silence <>
  • Subject: [silence] Help
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 17:07:08 -0400

Hi everyone, I am trying to complete work on a book on Cage (first ever in Turkish) and I just can't locate one little specific story I had read somewhere: he tells about a composer friend in a counterpoint class (I think in Florida), where the teacher asks the students one by one how they would progress from a specific note to another. When this composer's turn comes, he says he wouldn't bother with transition, he would simply go from one to the other.

I had read this several times but I just can't remember and find where. It is not one of the usual stories, I went through them one by one -- unless I am losing it.

Semih Firincioglu