silence - [silence] Re: John Cage featured at Mode Records' series at The Stone in NYC

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: John Cage featured at Mode Records' series at The Stone in NYC

  • From: Mode Admin <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [silence] Re: John Cage featured at Mode Records' series at The Stone in NYC
  • Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2011 20:35:05 -0400

Hi Silencers

Mode will be curating 2 weeks of concerts at the invitation of John Zorn at The Stone beginning September 16th.  Of course we will feature a lot of Cage's music (as well as Feldman, Xenakis, Scelsi, Radulescu and others). The complete schedule can be found on Mode's website, http://www.moderecords.com/, just click on the button near the top.

Below are some Cage highlights:

9/16 Friday
10 pm
JOHN CAGE VARIETY SHOW, directed by Miguel Frasconi

Roland Auzet (percussion), Richard Carrick & Chris Cochrane (guitars), Martha Cluver (voice),
Christopher McIntyre (trombone), Jovita Zähl (piano), Miguel Frasconi (toy piano, electronics, director)
An evening of pieces by John Cage, performed in a Musicircus environment. Works will include In a
Landscape, Music for Amplified Toy Pianos, Cheap Imitation, Variations II,solos from Concert for Piano
and Orchestra, excerpts from Song Books, Cage songs and an ensemble performance of 4'33".

9/17 Saturday
8 pm
PIANO DUO ELAEIS
[Cologne, USA debut]
Jovita Zähl and Philipp Kronbichler (piano duo)
Music for piano 2-, 3-, and 4-hands by Morton Feldman (Piano Three Hands; Piano Four Hands;
Piano Piece to Philip Guston), John Cage (2one, arrangement of Cage’s “One” by Zähl / Kronbichler,
USA PREMIERE; Ophelia), Toru Takemitsu (Rain Tree Sketch II); Michael Barolsky (KAN) and
Kronbichler.

9/24 Saturday
8 pm
ALLEN OTTE & BONNIE WHITING SMITH: SPEAKING OF AND AFTER CAGE

Allen Otte, Bonnie Whiting Smith (speaking percussionists)
Otte and Whiting Smith present a continuous program of music for vocalizing percussionists,
featuring unique realizations of works by John Cage as well as music by Corey Dargel,
Frederic Rzewski, and themselves.
[I should also mention that Mode has recorded an excellent Cage solo recital with Whiting Smith,
and we recently released Cage percussion works with Allen Otte on Mode 229]

9/25 Sunday
8 pm
MARGARET LENG TAN PLAYS CAGE’S FOUR WALLS

Margaret Leng Tan (piano, voice)
John Cage: Four Walls (1944)
An hour-long exploration of the disturbed mind.
10 PM
ROB HASKINS PLAYS MARC CHAN: MY WOUNDED HEAD 3

Rob Haskins (piano) with Grey McMurray (guitar), David Crowell (sax)
My Wounded Head 3, for solo piano, is a long, quiet road trip through the Bach Passion Chorales,
spinning the appropriated notes like threads through a loom, increasing, in the process, its duration.
Preceded by Chan’s arrangement of John Cage’s In a Landscape for piano, guitar and saxophone.

We hope you can join us for some of these events.
Brian Brandt
mode records