silence - [silence] Re: Video Clock

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Video Clock

  • From: jeff mitchell <>
  • To: Jeff Gavett <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Video Clock
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 08:53:30 -0500

Jeff,

We've used a simple, free program called Watch It - available on line.  We run it on a laptop, then through a projector during the performance.

Hope that helps.

Jeff Mitchell
Kalamazoo

On Mar 7, 2011, at 8:20 AM, Jeff Gavett wrote:

Hello again Silencers,

I'm looking for a more elegant solution to what some of my groups performing Cage pieces using clock time have been doing. We've just been using kitchen timers or something similar, but it makes a little bit of a theatrical gesture to synchronize those at the top of a piece.

Does anyone know the technical specifications of the 'video clock' that Cage made use of in the orchestral number pieces? I vaguely remember seeing some kind of red LED clock in a video, but could be imagining things.

Best,
Jeff