silence - [silence] Re: Re: The Zen of Silence - Review of Kenneth Silverman's Bio by John Adams

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Re: The Zen of Silence - Review of Kenneth Silverman's Bio by John Adams

  • From: Graham Urquhart <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Re: The Zen of Silence - Review of Kenneth Silverman's Bio by John Adams
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 15:21:34 +0000

Thanks Thomas, Regards
Graham

On 20/11/2010 19:38, Thomas Gaudynski wrote:

On Nov 20, 2010, at 1:08 PM, Graham Urquhart wrote:

I don't have a copy yet. Anyone have any thoughts?

I think the Adams review is fair and informative. Many of his positive and negative observations about the book crossed my mind as well. For someone who has read everything else already (from Cage to Kostelanetz, Revill, Pritchett, Gann, Carolyn Brown et al), it is no substitute, but for a general reader who hasn't, it is informative although a little wooden. The citation index is very thorough, and should aid in scholarly reference helping keep events and personalities in order. There are a few things I'd never learned of before, but there are errors too (what book doesn't have them?).

I will confess, I talked the school library into purchasing it, and am quite fine with it being there instead of on a shelf in my library. I'd recommend reading it, but suggest reservations about owning it.

But I will be referencing it this Spring in a course on Duchamp and Cage: Impact and Milieu and it will help fill in some of the milieu background.

Best regards,

Thomas Gaudynski