silence - [silence] Re: Re: Re: The first meeting of the Satie society

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Re: Re: The first meeting of the Satie society

  • From: Stefano Pocci <>
  • To: Thomas Moore <>
  • Cc: Nelson Rivera Rosario <>, Silence <>
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Re: Re: The first meeting of the Satie society
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 22:35:40 +0100

On 11/17/2010 06:42 PM, Thomas Moore wrote:
Re: [silence] Re: The first meeting of the Satie society I see now the exhibition in 1994 at Susan Sheehan’s gallery:
SUSAN SHEEHAN GALLERY, 41 East 57th Street. "The First Meeting of the Satie Society," Cage's written homage to Erik Satie; drawings and prints by Cage, Stephen Bastian, Merce Cunningham, Jasper Johns, Sol LeWitt, Robert Rauschenberg, Robert Ryman and Michael Silver.  (Damn, how the hell did I miss that? Hah!)

Also, digging further, the performance version received its premiere in 1985:
March 31, 1985. Bonn, Rheinisches Landesmuseum, Satie-Workshop (March 29-31): gave first performance (voice) of The First Meeting of the Satie Society with Klaus Schöning (voice), Amy Leverenz (voice), Grete Wehmeyer (piano), Bonner Ensemble für Neue Musik, Toni Roeder (co-ordination), including first performance of Sonnekus2, given by Amy Leverenz (afternoon); attended closing performances of the worskhop (evening, Mosaiksaal) (Deckenbrock 1985a; Deckenbrock 1985b; Erdmann 1985; Hilger 1985). (From http://www.xs4all.nl/~cagecomp/1972-1992.htm)

Nelson, can you shed light on the Osiris Press or Limited Editions publications?

TM

--

Thomas Moore
Director, Arts Management

Thanks for the detailed emails Thomas, really appreciated. Yes, I do have the "Letters to Satie" from the Jstor archive. No wonder the making of a limited edition involving such names made the price un-affordable! To say the least.

I thought that since literary works were there gathered as well as artwork from his great associates in the painting field maybe a sort of "authorized-limited-not-too expensive" edition was available. The Osiris Press maybe?

Thanks again for the wealth of information provided. Cheers
--
Stefano

"The rest of them were just artists. Duchamp collects dust" - John Cage