silence - [silence] Re: Re: use

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Re: use

  • From: Glenn Freeman <>
  • To: J bz <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Re: use
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 10:30:11 -0400

Hi Julian,

Not really. I would rather make recordings of John Cage's traffic ... people will eventually come to understand Cage's statement on their own terms.

Best,
Glenn

Hi Glenn,

I must admit to being fascinated by this idea of the use of silence as 'traffic' - would you mind expanding/unpacking this a little more?

All good wishes,

Julian

On 4 October 2010 15:17, Glenn Freeman <> wrote:
Yes Rob and Cage's ideas were constantly being adapted to different circumstances over the years. Several years after the initial MODE releases Cage composed a piece designed to be recorded, Four4 [in the past you said that One6/One10 was also designed in this way based on your talks to someone who worked with Cage on these pieces at the time].

During his Number Piece period Cage said "Silence ... almost every where in the world now is now traffic." which was a refinement of earlier statements and works by Cage, but this statement also reflected the current type of composition Cage was composing at the time and perhaps better referred to as 'traffic pieces' ... these pieces are about society, technology and use.