silence - [silence] Re: Re: use

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Re: use

  • From: Rob Haskins <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Miguel Frasconi <>, Stefano Pocci <>
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Re: use
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:10:22 -0400

Dear Miguel, Stefano, et al.,
Miguel is correct about the statement. Cage constantly referred to the "use" of music, meaning its social use. There's a quotation in a NYT article about the first Mode recordings, which I don't have handy. As I recall, Cage remarked that he had no use for recordings, but that he was glad the recordings had appeared. You might, Miguel, try looking through Musicage, where I believe Cage would discuss this thoroughly, and also in the interview with Robin White published in View (periodical associated with Crown Point Press). Sections in Conversing with Cage related to politics and society might also result in success.

Good luck; sorry I can't be more helpful at the moment.
Rob