silence - [silence] Re: Time Bracket pieces

Subject: Scholarly discussion of the music of John Cage.

[silence] Re: Time Bracket pieces

  • From: Dionisis Boukouvalas <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: [silence] Re: Time Bracket pieces
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 13:49:32 +0300

So far, this is my (alphabetical) list of the composers who have made use of time brackets:

Boukouvalas, Dionysis
Chan, Marc
Frey, Jurg
Haskins, Rob
Kotlowy, David
Malfatti, Radu
Schlothauer, Burkhard
Tenney, James
Thorman, Marc
Wolff, Christian

It would be interesting to know if and how their use of time brackets deviates from Cage's. It is true that Cage had a relatively uniform way of using time brackets, i.e. specific types (depending on overall time and overlap time) and a taste for overlap, both in the interior and the exterior of a bracket set.

As Marc Thorman wrote to me, in his piece the one bracket starts where the previous ends (this not to be confused with fixed time brackets).
In my piece with Rob Haskins there is no overlap between start and end brackets, only occasionally between bracket sets. The piano has only start brackets, since the pedal is always depressed, so the sound only starts but does not "end". Finally, brackets have a random length of time, not predetermined "types" as in Cage.

Any other additions and comments (on various uses) would be interesting.